Wednesday 6 August 2014

The Resourcefulness of Randy

Tending a farm is not a one-man job, much less a one-woman challenge. So I'm very grateful of the people who are around, who may have been around just because they just need the job, but still their presence and contribution cannot be discounted. Such appreciation happened today.

We needed carbonized rice hull (CRH) to loosen up our soil. And I learned from the Costales Farms seminar that CRH was simply burnt rice hull that went through a carbonizer like this: 

Weeks before, I had already asked my brother to make one like this. And he asked me to draw it on hand with the measurements that I wanted. But in true delaying fashion, I had forgotten until there was already need for it. So I brought up our lack of CRH for our clayish nursery soil and was told by Randy, one of the carpenters in the area, that we actually still have half a sack lying around. 

When he showed it to me, however, it was rice hull that we have and not CARBONIZED rice hull. Making a carbonizer for the un-burnt rice hull may take a few more days. After asking me how CRH should look like, Randy then said he'll try to burn them. I didn't know how he'll do it until I saw smoke coming out from his makeshift stove. 


It has a galvanized iron roof bed, a stack of ipil ipil branches, an old can of oil cut at the bottom and laid with a screen. Impressive! And mind you, all these were just lying around the area, no extra welding, no extra junk-shop purchase required. And the CRH came out just as how I saw it from the Costales Farm. This is simple resourcefulness at its best.






No comments:

Post a Comment